Sunday, June 15, 2008

FEATURED ARTIST 6/15/08- INGRID MICHAELSON

A First-hand Experience
Kristen Kozub

Early last summer, I was flipping through channels looking for something to watch, and nothing seemed to catch my interest. After about fifteen minutes of disinterested channel surfing, something stopped me dead in my tracks. On a local programming channel I had never even stumbled upon, I was captivated by a calypso-like drumline, a pleasant melody, and cute, witty lyrics—the sweet sounds of none other than Ingrid Michaelson. I didn't know it then, but I had just been introduced to someone who would quickly become one of my favorite musicians.  Anyone who knows me personally can attest to this.

What I was hearing was Michaelson's hit single, "The Way I Am," but in the days prior to the airwaves, Ingrid's face (and her music) were completely unfamiliar to me. I ravenously searched for her music and told everyone I knew about her. I instantly identified with her lyrics, as I'm sure almost anyone, particularly in my age group, would. They have an unbelievable innocence about them—one that seemed to fit my mood no matter what it was. Whether I just needed to sit and think, be distracted at work, or have a companion for long trips in the car, Ingrid's music was what I
would reach for. A year later, this remains true.

The best way I can think to describe her is a modern-day Joni Mitchell, but one with more innocence, and a gentler tone. There is something for everyone to relate to in her witty lyrics, whether it be the freshness and purity of "The Way I Am", childlike innocence of "The Hat", or heartbreaking fragility experienced in "Breakable".

On June 1, I was lucky enough to see Ingrid live, and my admiration for her more than tripled. The thing that was the biggest surprise for me was that not only were her lyrics witty, but she herself had the whole crowd laughing from start to finish. She seemed to know how to make the audience feel like they had known her for years, and she was doing nothing more than performing in their living room. She is on tour all summer, and if any of you get the chance to catch her, you will not be disappointed. It is impossible not to love the ukelele-strumming diva, whose fan base has grown at lightning speed. At age 28, she already has a lot under her belt, and most definitely has a bright future ahead.

Here is a tale of my concert experience:

It's a Sunday night on South Street in Philadelphia, and it's relatively quiet for an early summer evening, with the exception of the Theatre of the Living Arts, whose featured guest this evening is--you guessed it--none other than Ingrid Michaelson. Since she surfaced last summer, I have been a diehard fan, and although I was chomping at the bit for the performance, I had no idea just how fantastic it would be.

I had gone there expecting a show that was nothing short of stellar from the New York native, but what I wasn't expecting was to be laughing almost the entire time. I would highly recommend seeing her live, if only for the sole purpose of a good comedic musical performance. Her stage presence is unbelievable, leaving the crowd chuckling constantly, and leaving everyone feeling as if they have known her their whole lives.

As for the musical aspects of the performance, Michaelson's set included the hit "The Way I Am", and her newer single, "Breakable". She opened with "Die Alone", which seemed to wake the audience up, and appropriately announce her presence. One particular highlight was her performance of the upbeat single "The Hat", during which Ingrid proclaimed that she would be "unhappy and bitter" if anyone in the audience chose not to sing along. Fortunately, it was clear that neither performer nor audience was left in this state during this evening. Other song choices included "Overboard", "The Chain", "Keep Breathing", and "Giving Up", which many audience members recognized from the hit show Grey's Anatomy.

Not only did Michaelson's set list include favorites from both of her fantastic albums, Slow the Rain (2005), and Girls and Boys (2007), but impromptu performances of "Edelweiss," several television show themes, and even a few classical pieces, also graced our ears. Much to the delight of the audience, Ingrid broke into renditions of the Who's the Boss and Full House themes, along with a participatory Full House trivia game. Her sweet encore performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" practically had everyone eating out of the palm of her hand.

What made this show particularly spectacular was the combination of Michaelson's soft vocals, unsurpassed innocence, and sense of humor. It was these elements, along with the occasional addition of her ukulele, that made the performance one that was undoubtedly human-- one you should make a point to see this summer. I left that venue feeling as if I had known her for years. Her love of performing was evident, as was her connection with her band, particularly "musical sister" Allie Moss, who was a wonderful addition to the ensemble. With voice colors similar to that of Ingrid's, she was the perfect complement.





The first opening act consisted of Philadelphia- born George Stanford, whose debut album Big Drop hit stores this past Tuesday. Stanford's vocals had a rough quality, but not in a negative sense. He was a pleasant opening to the evening, particularly with the song "Downriver", which had a especially interesting guitar accompaniment.

Following Stanford was the up and coming Greg Laswell, who will be touring with Ingrid for the entire run of her tour. His melancholy lyrics, gentle tone, and beautiful piano lines, make him someone worth scoping out. For a taste of Laswell's sound, check out the single "What a Day". Greg's debut album, How the Day Sounds, is available on Vanguard Records.

If you get a chance to catch Ingrid (and Greg) in the coming months, you will not be left disappointed. It was clear that Philadelphia is near and dear to her heart, as it was her first performance spot outside her hometown. 

Watch out for the possible "wedding tour" she spoke of, in which audience members will have to attend wearing tuxedos and ball gowns. It is amazing how much Ms. Michaelson's fan base has expanded, just in the last year alone, and she will surely be a face we see frequently in the coming months.

Ingrid Michaelson's MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/ingridmichaelson


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you’re into Ingrid definitley check out Greg Laswell, another indie singer/songwriter. Although his music has a bit of a sadder sound, it should appeal to the same people. His newest song is called “How the Day Sounds” and it’s on his Myspace page and almightyjukebox.com

Looking for something?