Tuesday, June 3, 2008

TODAY IN MUSIC HISTORY: 6/2

Can you hear me Major Tom?  Good...because Bowie's a flop!

Before I start getting hate mail from angry Bowie enthusiasts, know that I too, am a follower of David Bowie!  Unfortunately, back in 1967 the UK was not.  It was this day back in '67 when Bowie released his self-titled debut record, David Bowie, and it bombed terribly on the UK charts!  Don't worry, Bowie, I think you have more than redeemed yourself...I'm sure you were full of doubt.


I Spy, with my eye...a Spy.

This story is too good to be fabricated.  Today, in 2005, Alex Kapranos ran into some trouble with the law when trying to board a plane in Moscow.  The frontman for the indie supergroup, Franz Ferdinand, was traveling with his real last name of Huntley, which shot up red flags (no pun intended) to Russian police.  As it turned out, police had mistaken Kapranos for a spy by the same name.  Kapranos was finally released, but only after it was determined that the man they were pursuing was actually 13 years his senior.  The spy on the loose was an M16 agent, wanted for stealing weapon information from the Russians back in the early 90s.  I'd love to get ahold of those tour journals.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Looking for something?