Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Who needs a man made of steel, when you can have one made of Iron?

NEW MOVIE REVIEW
IRON MAN
Released: May 2, 2008
Jenna Avery-Lawyer

I'm sorry, all I can say is... "It was money, baby!

Come on! It was directed by Jon Favreau! I had to get my one allotted Swingers reference in. But damn, he was firing off all cylinders when he brought this sparkling gem to theaters. Something definitely went right.

I have waited for this delicious tray of eye candy for months. As soon as I heard the words, I was bouncing on my heels with excitement. The words, of course, were "Robert Downey Jr." He is one of my absolute favourites. I did not doubt him as Iron Man for one second. His beauty, his wit, his muscles, his… Where was I? Oh right. He was quite possibly put on this earth to play Tony Stark.

Terrence Howard, also seen in the award winning film, Crash, does a fantastic job of playing Rhodey, Tony Stark's best friend. Expect to see him suiting up for the sequel as Iron Man's partner, War Machine. 

Gwyneth Paltrow adds to this amazing cast with her quiet-cool. Well, more like quiet awkwardness, but I loved her all the more for it. She plays the role of Pepper Potts, the highly professional and devout personal assistant to weapons mogul, Tony Stark. The sexual tension between Ms. Potts and Mr. Stark absolutely crackles against the screen! Half the time I expect to see embers shooting off of them as during their many tension filled silences. If their chemistry had a sound effect, it would most likely resemble the sizzle of a frying pan. Spicey!

It's not all fun and sexual tension, though. The first portion of this film is a very dark and tense 25 minutes. It adds so many layers to the blossoming characters, paving the way for a deeper connection. No spoiler alert here. I won't divulge any further.

I was pleased to see that Favreau did not pull a Spider-Man 3. I'm sorry Spidey, I love you, but I had to say it. Unlike the third, and far overdone, installment of Spiderman, this film does an excellent job of developing the characters into people we can feel for. It's done at a leisurely pace, so the audience doesn't feel rushed. Some have said that Iron Man is just an introductory tail. I agree, and it makes me impatient for more. This beginning contains plenty of action, comedy, and drama; A spectacular blending of genres. If the full cast can be gathered for the sequel, we can certainly expect another box office smash!


Here is the official theatrical trailer:



Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

lindSAY said...

jenna. this film was one of the best i have seen in a LOOOOONG time! i am finally able to say that money was not wasted at the box office. now we just have to wait around for batman!

Looking for something?